Eleven killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon, authorities say – Israeli forces bombed what they described as “Hezbollah terror infrastructure” in the southern Lebanese town of Marjayoun on April 15, 2024. The attacks came hours after the Lebanese army reported an exchange of fire near the border that injured Israeli soldiers. Lebanon’s health ministry confirmed eleven civilian deaths, including women and children, sparking fresh calls for de‑escalation. The incident threatens to widen an already volatile front in the Middle East, drawing attention from the international community and regional powers.
Key takeaways
- Israeli strikes targeted alleged Hezbollah sites in southern Lebanon, killing eleven civilians.
- The attacks were framed as retaliation for an earlier incident involving Israeli soldiers.
- Lebanon’s health ministry confirmed the casualties, prompting condemnation from Beirut.
- The escalation raises the risk of a broader regional conflict involving multiple actors.
Background
Tensions along the Israel‑Lebanon border have simmered since the 2006 war, with sporadic exchanges of fire and intelligence operations. In recent months, Hezbollah has increased its presence in the south, while Israel has stepped up surveillance and occasional air raids. The latest incident follows a claim by the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) that Hezbollah militants fired on Israeli troops near the border earlier on April 15. The IDF said it responded by striking “terror infrastructure” to protect its forces and civilians. This pattern of tit‑for‑tat actions mirrors the broader pattern of conflict that has also affected other regions, such as the humanitarian response after the Rescuers search for survivors of powerful Indonesia earthquake.
What happened
At approximately 10:30 a.m. local time, Israeli fighter jets entered Lebanese airspace and dropped precision munitions on three sites identified by the IDF as weapons caches and command posts. Lebanese authorities reported that the strikes hit residential neighborhoods, causing extensive damage to homes and a school. The health ministry later released a list of the dead, confirming eleven civilians—including three children—were killed and dozens more injured. Israel’s military released a short statement confirming the operation, saying it was a lawful act of self‑defence against “Hezbollah terror infrastructure” that had threatened its soldiers.
Why it matters
The casualties have reignited calls for a cease‑fire from the United Nations and the Arab League, which fear the conflict could spiral into a full‑scale war. The death toll also fuels domestic pressure on the Lebanese government, already grappling with an economic crisis and widespread public discontent. International observers worry that an escalation could draw in Iran, which backs Hezbollah, and potentially involve other regional actors. Moreover, the incident underscores the fragile security environment that affects humanitarian aid delivery, akin to the challenges faced in disaster‑prone areas like Hawaii braces for potential first direct hit by a hurricane in 34 years.
What happens next
Lebanon’s prime minister has pledged to investigate the strikes and to seek an urgent meeting with the United Nations. Israeli officials say they will continue to monitor Hezbollah activity and will act if further attacks on their troops occur. Diplomatic channels are expected to be activated, with the United States and France offering to mediate between the parties. For ongoing coverage of this developing story and related global events, visit Chronicle News or browse our all articles archive.
Frequently asked questions
How many people were killed in the Israeli strikes?
Eleven civilians were confirmed dead by Lebanon’s health ministry, including three children, after the April 15 air raids.
What justification did Israel give for the attacks?
The Israeli military said it targeted “Hezbollah terror infrastructure” in response to an earlier incident where Hezbollah militants allegedly fired on Israeli soldiers near the border.
Could this incident lead to a larger war?
While both sides have warned against further escalation, the deaths have heightened regional tensions and prompted calls from the UN and Arab League for restraint, leaving the risk of a broader conflict uncertain.
Bottom line
Eleven civilians were killed in Israeli air strikes on southern Lebanon, a move Israel says was retaliation for Hezbollah fire. The incident raises the specter of wider regional fighting, prompting urgent diplomatic outreach. Reporting by BBC News.



